Becoming an Electrician
What does an Electrician do?
- Install & Repair Fixtures
- Install & Repair Control
- Assemble & Install Electrical Conduit
- Test Continuity of Circuits
- Install & Wire Electrical Systems
Where do Electricians work?
- Commercial Office Buildings
- Utility Companies
Am I Qualified?
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must have a high school diploma or G.E.D.
- Must have completed 2 full years of High School math (one of the courses MUST be a full year of Algebra) with a minimum grade of “C”
- Must be of good physical condition to perform the work required
- Must have a sincere interest in the trade
- Must have a valid driver’s license
What can I expect while training?
- Program is approximately 5 years
- Aptitude Test may be required
- On-the-job Training with an experienced Journeyman
- Some travel may be required
- Classroom work and home studies are required
The Story of Big Step, Inc.
The Big-Step outreach program was established to acquaint individuals with employment and career opportunities in the skilled trades. Big-Step is a major assistance program to help applicants upgrade their math, science, and other academic skills for a successful career in construction.
The overall goal of Big-Step is to provide greater skills to individuals striving for a career in the skilled trades. The majority of participants will be placed into higher skilled/higher paying jobs and apprenticeship occupations, once training and work experience has been achieved.
BIG STEP HELPS:
- Recruit qualified individuals for apprenticeship training and careers.
- Provide needs assessment and identify deficiencies clients may have; develop a corresponding action plan.
- Provide apprenticeship test tutoring and other preparation services. Day and evening classes are available.
- Place clients into on-the-job training with the intention of leading to construction related apprenticeships.
- Place and assist clients into any classroom training necessary to prepare/place them into higher-paying employment opportunities.
- Provide case management services to assist candidates to become indentured apprentices and/or retain construction-related employment.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Earl Buford, Executive Director
3841 West Wisconsin Avenue
Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53208