Becoming a Boilermaker
What does a Boilermaker do?
A Boilermaker is a highly skilled tradesman who erects and maintains various types of pressure vessels:
- Small boilers
- Coal fired boilers
- Blast furnaces
- Basic Oxygen Furnaces
A Boilermaker’s skills include:
- Heavy and high rigging
- Layout work
Where does a Boilermaker work?
- Power Generating Plants
- Steel Mills
- Chemical Plants
- Paper Mills
Am I Qualified?
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must have a high school diploma or G.E.D.
- Must be of good physical condition to perform the work required
- Must not be afraid of heights
- Must not be claustrophobic
- Must be willing to work the night shift
- Knowledge of general Math, Geometry, Mechanical Drawing, and Welding preferred
What can I expect while training?
- Applications accepted yearly
- Program is 4 years
- Classroom work and home studies are required
- On-the-job Training
- Some travel may be required
The Story of Big Step, Inc.
The Big-Step outreach program was established to acquaint individuals with employment and career opportunities in the skilled trades. Big-Step is a major assistance program to help applicants upgrade their math, science, and other academic skills for a successful career in construction.
The overall goal of Big-Step is to provide greater skills to individuals striving for a career in the skilled trades. The majority of participants will be placed into higher skilled/higher paying jobs and apprenticeship occupations, once training and work experience has been achieved.
BIG STEP HELPS:
- Recruit qualified individuals for apprenticeship training and careers.
- Provide needs assessment and identify deficiencies clients may have; develop a corresponding action plan.
- Provide apprenticeship test tutoring and other preparation services. Day and evening classes are available.
- Place clients into on-the-job training with the intention of leading to construction related apprenticeships.
- Place and assist clients into any classroom training necessary to prepare/place them into higher-paying employment opportunities.
- Provide case management services to assist candidates to become indentured apprentices and/or retain construction-related employment.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Earl Buford, Executive Director
3841 West Wisconsin Avenue
Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53208