Becoming a Steamfitter
What does a Steamfitter do?
- Rigging, setting, supporting and piping of related equipment, valves, fittings
- Pressure Tests Systems for Leaks
- Fusion & Mechanical Joining of Pipes
Where do Steamfitters work?
- Commercial Buildings
- Large Residential Buildings
- Power Plants
- Waste Water Treatment Plants
- Industrial Projects
- New Construction
Am I Qualified?
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must be of good physical condition to perform the work required
- Must have a sincere interest in the trade
- Must have a valid driver’s license
What can I expect while training?
- Program is approximately 5 years
- Some travel may be required
- Classroom training
- On-the-job Training with an experienced Journeyman
The Story of Big Step, Inc.
The Big-Step outreach program was established to acquaint individuals with employment and career opportunities in the skilled trades. Big-Step is a major assistance program to help applicants upgrade their math, science, and other academic skills for a successful career in construction.
The overall goal of Big-Step is to provide greater skills to individuals striving for a career in the skilled trades. The majority of participants will be placed into higher skilled/higher paying jobs and apprenticeship occupations, once training and work experience has been achieved.
BIG STEP HELPS:
- Recruit qualified individuals for apprenticeship training and careers.
- Provide needs assessment and identify deficiencies clients may have; develop a corresponding action plan.
- Provide apprenticeship test tutoring and other preparation services. Day and evening classes are available.
- Place clients into on-the-job training with the intention of leading to construction related apprenticeships.
- Place and assist clients into any classroom training necessary to prepare/place them into higher-paying employment opportunities.
- Provide case management services to assist candidates to become indentured apprentices and/or retain construction-related employment.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Earl Buford, Executive Director
3841 West Wisconsin Avenue
Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53208